G8 is a high-quality noise gate with many tricks up its sleeve. It is both a professional dynamics workstation and an experimental amplitude effect. Use it for noise reduction, AM/granular synthesis, bouncing ball rhythm programming, tremolo, trajectory panning, transient shaping, and much, much more.
Gating is an effect commonly used to reduce audio noise by only allowing signals over a certain amplitude threshold to pass. Generally, this is used to eliminate unwanted noise from tracks, but with G8, it can also be used for exaggerated stuttering rhythms and all sorts of other creative dynamic effects.
Flip Mode and Reject Outputs allow you to use G8 as an “amplitude splitter,” or a way of routing different volumed sections of a single track into different creative effects. This technique can be used to add interesting and unique non-linear (a.k.a. amplitude-dependent) effects such as compound distortions, delays, reverbs, and EQ–each of which, when once set up, can be tweaked and modulated simply through changing a single threshold knob. Cycle and single-shot envelope gating modes allow you to easily create intricate amplitude triggered stutter effects. These are especially powerful when combined with G8’s fully supported MIDI input and output triggers.
Use it for noise removal, transient shaping, amplitude-dependent effects routing, glitchy rhythms, and much more. A large number of presets will get you started!
- “Cycle” and “One-shot” gating modes, allowing you to use G8 as a stutter effect, AM synth, granular synth, or triggerable envelope. Combined with G8’s MIDI features, you can use these modes to create intricate rhythms, bouncing ball effects, or drum replacement.
- Sidechain support (in select hosts, please see the compatibility list for more information).
- Independent Analysis Gain and Output Gain controls.
- RMS and Peak style metering, allowing you to pick the right tool for the job.
- Lookahead control, with accurate latency reporting to the host.
- Wet/Dry knob for parallel gating, compression, or expansion.
- Variable reduction, allowing control over the depth of the gating.
- Hysteresis and Hold parameters to prevent “chatter” or unwanted dropouts.
- Customizable MIDI input and output, allowing you to trigger G8 from MIDI clips, or to synchronize instruments to G8.
- “Reject” Outputs. These follow the opposite gating envelope as the output, allowing you to use G8 as a two-band amplitude splitter!
- Flip mode, which reverses G8’s threshold analysis behavior.
- Expert Mode, featuring an advanced routing, amplitude, and filtering matrix for each channel, as well as individual input monitors for up to 4 channels. Use this to clean up the analysis input, or to create unpredictable gating polyrhythms.